Connect with us

Europe

Italy’s government in crisis as Renzi ministers resign

Published

on


Three ministers have resigned from Italy’s governing coalition, plunging the government into crisis and threatening the future of prime minister Giuseppe Conte.

Matteo Renzi, the former Italian prime minister and leader of the small Italia Viva party, said that three ministers from Italia Viva would resign from Mr Conte’s coalition on Wednesday, after weeks of sustained criticism of the government’s handling of the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

The three ministers are Teresa Bellanova, agriculture minister; Elena Bonetti, family minster; and Ivan Scalfarotto, a junior minister for foreign affairs.

“There will be a reason if Italy is the country that has the highest number of deaths and a collapse in GDP,” Mr Renzi said, blaming the government’s handling of the pandemic for the resignations.

“It is much more difficult to leave your position than to cling to the status quo,” he said, arguing that his decision was in the best interests of the country. “The political crisis has not been started by Italia Viva, it has been going on for months.”

Earlier in the day Mr Conte had met Italy’s president and head of state Sergio Mattarella, and said that a government crisis now would be punished by voters.

“I believe that a crisis would not be understood by the country at a time when there are so many challenges,” he said. He had also said before Mr Renzi’s announcement that he had been attempting to forge a new agreement with his small coalition party.

Mr Conte may now need to seek permission from Mr Mattarella to attempt to form a new government without lawmakers from Mr Renzi’s party. To do this he will need to win over members of other small parties or possibly breakaway members of former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi’s Forza Italia.

If Mr Conte is unable to assemble a new majority then it is possible Mr Mattarella will pave the way for a new government to be formed without him. Early elections, which only the Italian president has the power to call, are unlikely to take place during the pandemic, and are likely only to be called once all other options in the Italian parliament have been exhausted.

Italia Viva was formed last year in a breakaway from the ruling centre-left Democratic party (PD) after Mr Renzi had been integral in pushing the PD into a coalition with the Five Star Movement, allowing Mr Conte to continue as prime minister following the collapse of the last Italian coalition.

Since then, however, Mr Renzi has become a fierce critic of the prime minister, arguing that his plans to spend about €180bn from the EU’s post-pandemic recovery fund are inadequate.

Mr Conte, who was an obscure law professor before being picked to lead Italy’s previous governing coalition between Five Star and Matteo Salvini’s League in 2018, has no political party of his own. As a result, he may struggle to justify continuing as prime minister should a new coalition need to be formed.

He now faces a scramble to find enough lawmakers to restore the majority in Italy’s upper house that he was deprived of when Mr Renzi’s IV senators withdrew their support.

Yet even if he manages to do so, the upshot could be a weakened government at a moment of acute national crisis.

“If Conte finds enough parliamentarians to offset the outflow of the Renzi-ites, the next question will be, yes Conte is alive, but what kind of life we are speaking about?” said Francesco Galietti of the risk consultancy Policy Sonar. “His government would then be very weak.”

Some coalition lawmakers criticised Mr Renzi for orchestrating a government crisis in the middle of a pandemic. “A grave error made by a few that we will all end up paying for,” said Andrea Orlando, deputy leader of the Democratic party.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Europe

Global house prices: Raising the roof

Published

on

By



Global house prices: Raising the roof



Source link

Continue Reading

Europe

Missing Belarus activist found hanged in Kyiv park

Published

on

By


Belarus updates

A Belarusian opposition activist has been found hanged from a tree in a park near his home in Ukraine, a day after he was reported missing. Local police said his death could have been made to look like suicide.

Vitaly Shishov, who led the Kyiv-based organisation Belarusian House, which helps Belarusians fleeing persecution find their feet in Ukraine, had been reported missing by his partner on Monday after not returning from a run.

Shishov’s death follows weeks of increased pressure in Belarus by authorities against civil society activists and independent media as part of what the country’s authoritarian president Alexander Lukashenko has called a “mopping-up operation” of “bandits and foreign agents”.

Many Belarusians have fled the country since Lukashenko launched a brutal crackdown last summer after nationwide protests erupted following his disputed victory in presidential elections. About 35,000 people have been arrested in Belarus and more than 150,000 are thought to have crossed into neighbouring Ukraine.

Franak Viacorka, an aide to Belarusian opposition leader Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya who met UK prime minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday in London, said Shishov’s death was “absolutely shocking and unexpected to all of us”.

“He [Shishov] and his friends helped people who were moving to Ukraine,” Viacorka told the Financial Times. “They were very helpful, especially for those who have just arrived and didn’t know what to do.”

Viacorka said many activists living in Ukraine, such as Shishov who fled Belarus in 2020, had “complained about possibly being followed, and receiving threats”.

Kyiv park where Vitaly Shyshov’s body was found
The Kyiv park where Vitaly Shishov’s body was found after he failed to return home following a run © Gleb Garanich/Reuters

Downing Street said that after meeting Tsikhanouskaya, Johnson condemned the Lukashenko regime’s severe human rights violations. “The UK stands in solidarity of the people of Belarus and will continue to take action to support them,” a spokesperson said.

Ukrainian police have now launched a criminal case for the suspected murder of Shishov, including the possibility of “murder disguised as suicide”.

Yuriy Shchutsko, an acquaintance and fellow Belarus refugee who found Shishov’s body, ruled out suicide, pointing out that Shishov’s nose was broken.

“I suspect this was the action of the [Belarus] KGB . . . we knew they were hunting for us,” he told Ukrainian television.

Ihor Klymenko, head of the National Police of Ukraine, subsequently said Shishov’s body had what appeared to be “torn tissue” on his nose and other wounds, but stressed it would be up to medical examiners to determine if these were caused by beatings or the result of suicide.

There was no immediate comment from Lukashenko or his administration.

Belarusian House said: “There is no doubt that this is an operation planned by the Chekists [the Belarusian KGB] to eliminate someone truly dangerous for the regime.

“Vitalik was under surveillance,” it added. “We were repeatedly warned by both local sources and our people in the Republic of Belarus about all kinds of provocations up to kidnapping and liquidation.”

Adding to the swirl of attention on Belarus this week, Tokyo Olympics sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya on Monday took refuge in Poland’s embassy after alleging she had been taken to the airport against her will, having criticised her Belarusian coaches.

The athlete has said she feared punishment if she went back to Belarus but has so far declined to link her problems to the country’s divisions.

Shishov’s death comes five years after Pavel Sheremet, a prominent Belarus-born opposition figure and journalist, was killed in an improvised bomb explosion in downtown Kyiv while driving to work at a local radio station. Lukashenko has ruled Belarus since 1994.

Ukrainian authorities at first suggested Belarusian or Russian security services could have been involved in the hit, as Sheremet was close to opposition movements in Russia as well.

Instead, officials charged three Ukrainian volunteers who supported war efforts against Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine — although they steadfastly denied involvement and authorities were unable to provide a motive in what has been widely described as a flimsy case.

Additional reporting by Jasmine Cameron-Chileshe in London



Source link

Continue Reading

Europe

EU pledges aid to Lithuania to combat illegal migration from Belarus

Published

on

By


EU immigration updates

In the latest sign of deteriorating relations between the EU and Belarus, Brussels has promised extra financial aid and increased diplomatic heft to help Lithuania tackle a migrant crisis that it blames on neighbouring Belarus and its dictator Alexander Lukashenko.

Lithuania detained 287 illegal migrants on Sunday, more than it did in the entirety of 2018, 2019, and 2020 combined, the vast majority of them Iraqis who had flown to Belarus’s capital Minsk before heading north to cross into the EU state. Almost 4,000 migrants have been detained this year, compared with 81 for the whole of 2020. 

“What we are facing is an aggressive act from the Lukashenko regime designed to provoke,” Ylva Johansson, the EU commissioner for home affairs told reporters on Monday after talks with Lithuania’s prime minister Ingrida Simonyte. “The situation is getting worse and deteriorating . . . There is no free access to EU territory.”

The EU imposed sweeping sanctions against Lukashenko’s regime in June, after he fraudulently claimed victory in last year’s presidential election and then led a brutal campaign to violently suppress protesters and jail political opponents. Lukashenko has ruled Belarus since 1994.

The rising concern over the migrant crossings, which EU officials say is a campaign co-ordinated by Lukashenko’s administration, comes as one of the country’s athletes competing in the Tokyo Olympic Games sought refuge in Poland after team management attempted to fly her home against her will after she publicly criticised their actions.

Johansson said the EU would provide €10m-€12m of immediate emergency funding and would send a team of officials to the country to assess the requirements for longer-term financial assistance, including for extra border security and facilities to process those attempting to enter.

Simonyte said that Vilnuis would require “tens of millions of euros” by the end of the year if the number of people attempting to cross the border continued at the current pace.

Lithuania’s foreign minister Gabrielius Landsbergis told the Financial Times in June that Belarus was “weaponising” illegal immigration to put pressure on the Baltic country over its housing of several opposition leaders. Since then, the flow of illegal immigrants from Iraq, Syria, and several African countries has increased sharply.

Iraqi diplomats visited Vilnius at the end of last week after Lithuania’s foreign minister flew to Baghdad in mid-July. Johannson said on Monday that EU diplomats were engaged in “intensive contacts” with Iraqi officials, which she said were “more constructive than we had hoped”.

State carrier Iraqi Airways offers flights from four Iraqi airports to Minsk, according to its website. Former Estonian president Toomas Ilves suggested on Twitter that the EU could cut its aid to Iraq “immediately until they stop these flights”.

Speaking at the border with Belarus on Monday, Johansson added that the tents provided by Lithuania were unsuitable for families. Lithuania’s interior minister Agne Bilotaite said she hoped the number of illegal migrants would subside in the coming months but that Vilnius was planning to build some housing to accommodate them over the upcoming winter.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending