Connect with us

Europe

Child incest scandal shakes French intelligentsia 

Published

on


Her twin brother told her when they were just 14 that he was being sexually abused by their well-known stepfather. This week, Camille Kouchner ended three decades of secrecy with the publication of a wrenching memoir that has shaken the close-knit community of Paris intellectuals with an abuse scandal — this time involving the crime of incest. 

The man accused is Olivier Duhamel, a prominent political analyst who regularly appeared on television, and who presided over “la familia grande” of the book’s title and annually hosted leading politicians and thinkers at their summer home in Sanary-sur-Mer in the south of France in the 1980s. 

Mr Duhamel, who is protected by the statute of limitations in force at the time of the alleged assaults (although the immunity can be lifted in certain circumstances), has resigned as president of the National Foundation of Political Science, the body that oversees the running of Sciences Po university and from other commitments, including the presidency of Le Siècle, an elite dining club. He announced the resignations on Twitter “having become the target of personal attacks” and has made no further comment; he could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

On Tuesday, the state prosecutor announced that an investigation into the allegations against Mr Duhamel had been launched.

Camille Kouchner’s memoir describes an undisciplined childhood © Thomas Samson/AFP/Getty
Ms Kouchner’s mother and Mr Duhamel’s wife, Evelyne Pisier, died in 2017 © Jean-Pierre Muller/AFP/Getty

Frédéric Mion, Sciences Po director, said he was “stunned” by the revelations. In a statement he said he was made aware of a “rumour circulating about Olivier Duhamel” in 2019. Mr Mion acknowledged that he should have taken the allegations more seriously. He told Le Monde: “I let myself be fooled.”

The book by Ms Kouchner — who became a lawyer like her stepfather and whose father is Bernard Kouchner, co-founder of Médecins Sans Frontières and a former foreign minister — describes an undisciplined childhood with Mr Duhamel and her mother Evelyne Pisier, a writer and onetime lover of Cuban leader Fidel Castro, surrounded by their coterie of politically leftist and socially liberal friends.

“Some parents and children kissed each other on the mouth. My stepfather flirted with the wives of his mates. The mates picked up the nannies. Young men were offered to older women,” wrote Ms Kouchner, recalling her mother’s explanation: “There’s no harm in it, my little Camille. I know what’s going on. Fucking is our liberty.” 

Then came the allegation by her twin brother that Mr Duhamel — now 70 and clearly identified but not named in the book — came into his bed at night and sexually abused him. After the mother was finally told towards the end of her life, she said Mr Duhamel tormented himself about it but reckoned the brother must have been at least 15 “and there was no sodomy”, Ms Kouchner wrote. The brother swore her to secrecy and reluctantly accepted that the truth come out only after their mother’s death in 2017. Some friends of Pisier and Mr Duhamel also became aware of the allegations in recent years but said nothing publicly.

“It’s proof of the reality of things and this culture of rape and this permissiveness,” said Homayra Sellier, founder of Innocence in Danger, a non-governmental organisation that campaigns to protect children from violence and abuse. “There’s been impunity for a long time. Things are tolerated in France that wouldn’t be tolerated elsewhere.” 

The Duhamel saga is the latest of several paedophilia and other sexual abuse scandals to have emerged in France in the years following the fall from grace of former IMF managing director and French presidential candidate Dominique Strauss-Kahn over sexual assault allegations at a New York hotel in 2011. 

The 74-year-old Jean-Luc Brunel, a former French model agency boss and associate of the late sex offender and financier Jeffrey Epstein, was detained last month and is being investigated for “rape of a minor over 15 and sexual harassment”. Gabriel Matzneff, now 84, the French author who for years wrote about his sexual relations with adolescents and children, is also under investigation after one of his alleged victims accused him of having sex with her at the age of 14.

Allegations of sexual abuse against the writer Gabriel Matzneff in 2020 sparked soul-searching in France © Pierre Guillaud/AFP/Getty

Campaigners and commentators say that the French public — informed by books such as those by Ms Kouchner and Vanessa Springora, Mr Matzneff’s accuser — have recently started to turn against sexual predators who were previously tolerated as roguish libertines. 

“What’s changed in France is not the law, it’s people,” said Ms Sellier. “Public opinion is beginning to realise with all this coming out that it’s a plague.”

Muriel Salmona, a psychiatrist who runs an association to help victims with traumatic memories, agreed that there were signs that victims were starting to receive more popular support than before and perpetrators less. “There’s really been a lot of tolerance for sexual violence, especially paedophilia, incest included,” particularly when the perpetrators were powerful people, she said.

An Ipsos poll in November for the French pressure group Face à l’inceste found that 10 per cent of the population — 6.7m people — declared themselves to be incest victims, a figure more than three times higher than in a previous poll in 2011, probably because more people were coming forward, rather than because there were necessarily many more victims.

The book was cathartic, too, for Ms Kouchner herself. She concludes it with an emotional letter to her dead mother and angrily addresses her stepfather a few pages earlier, detailing provisions in the penal code and reminding him he could have gone to jail had the accusations come out earlier and he had been successfully prosecuted and convicted. 



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Europe

Ransomware attacks rise despite US call for clampdown on cybercriminals

Published

on

By


Ransomware updates

In mid-June, US president Joe Biden held talks with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin to discuss a recent scourge of cyber attacks against the US, including by Russian-based criminal ransomware hackers. 

Biden has said he told Putin in no uncertain terms that “certain critical infrastructure should be off limits to cyber attack — period”. Nevertheless, data show that ransomware attacks continue apace, including in sectors such as healthcare and education. It is unclear whether Biden will take further action in light of this. 

Ransomware, which usually involves hackers seizing an organisation’s data or computer systems and only releasing access if a ransom is paid, has long plagued businesses large and small. The first known ransomware virus, PC Cyborg, was recorded in 1989, with victims infected via floppy disk and told to send a $189 cheque to an address in Panama.

Today, these financially motivated hacks are far more sophisticated — and are proliferating fast. Attacks have quadrupled during the pandemic, SonicWall data show, partly because the shift to remote working has left staff more vulnerable than if they were connecting to more secure corporate networks. 

Chart showing that ransomware attempts reached an unprecedented level in 2021

Additionally, hackers have swapped demanding cheques for requesting hard-to-track cryptocurrencies, meaning that as the price of bitcoin has risen during the past year, the business of ransomware has become all the more lucrative. It is also easier to launch attacks with little to no technical knowhow, given the growing market for “ransomware-as-a-service”, where hackers maintain their ransomware code but rent it out to others and take a cut of any extortion payouts. 

While known attacks have reached unprecedented levels, the story of what we do not know — given that there are few rules around disclosure — may be far worse. Earlier this week, Bryan Vorndran, assistant director of the FBI Cyber Division and other cyber agency officials called for mandatory reporting rules around attacks, so that accurate data can be gathered and analysed by the US government.

Chart showing the median size of companies targeted by ransomware (number of employees)

Small businesses with little spare resources have tended to be the hardest hit by ransomware attackers. But the matter was thrust into the spotlight earlier this year after several audacious attacks on critical infrastructure such as the Colonial Pipeline, which led to fuel shortages for several days on the US east coast, the Irish health system and Brazilian meat supplier JBS. All of these attacks were believed to originate from Russia-based ransomware hackers, although the US government has accused Chinese state-backed groups of also orchestrating attacks.

The number of ransomware gangs stretches into the dozens and continues to proliferate as the economics remain so profitable. Vorndran said the FBI tracked 100 gangs, using an algorithm to rank them and the effect that each has on the economy. The largest one rakes in an estimated $200m a year in revenues, he said.

Chart showing that ransomware demands can often be negotiated down

To help victims fight the gangs, a cottage industry for “ransomware negotiators” has emerged. These middlemen are tasked by victims with haggling down the ransom payments. As go-betweens, they also collect data on attacks, learning the playbooks of various groups in order to best know how to speak to them. 

According to data from Coveware, the average ransom payment has fallen in the second quarter to $136,576, from more than $200,000 in the first quarter, amid an emergence of smaller ransomware groups. But in the majority of attacks — about 80 per cent — hackers are using the newer tactic of threatening to leak data as extra leverage in extorting victims. About half of these “leak threat” victims paid out in the second quarter, Coveware said.

Chart showing publically reported ransomware attacks on US healthcare, public, state or local government and schools, by month

Unfortunately, the negotiators’ services continue to be in high demand. According to data on reported attacks collated by Recorded Future, in the US there have been 10 attacks on healthcare, nine on schools and 10 on public state and local government groups during June and July this year. Despite Biden urging Putin last month to crack down on the criminal groups and warning against attacks on 16 critical entities, attacks on many of these key sectors have continued.

“The volume of targeted attacks on government organisations and enterprises that impact civilians, countries and the global economy will not end without a change in approach,” said Bill Conner, the chief executive of SonicWall.



Source link

Continue Reading

Europe

France delays EDF reforms after failure to agree terms with Brussels

Published

on

By


EDF updates

France has been forced to delay the restructuring of state-owned utility EDF after it failed to agree the terms with the EU, a setback to a major economic reform promised by President Emmanuel Macron.

“Significant progress has been made in our discussions with the European Commission, but to date we have not reached an overall agreement,” said a government official. “Therefore it is not possible to submit a draft law to parliament if the principle points of the reform have not been agreed to in advance.”

Jean-Bernard Lévy, EDF chief executive, on Thursday declined to provide a specific timetable for when the reform could be completed, but analysts said it would likely prove difficult at least until after the French presidential elections next April.

“I regret that this reform that is indispensable to EDF cannot happen now,” said Levy. “Our short term [prospects] are guaranteed, but our medium and long term are not if we want to play in the big leagues, which is what is expected of EDF.”

Dubbed Project Hercules, the planned overhaul of EDF was meant to give it the financial firepower to invest in both nuclear and renewable energy in the coming decades.

An important element would be changing the mechanism and regulated prices at which EDF sells nuclear power, which provides 70 per cent of France’s electricity. France wanted to push through higher regulated prices for nuclear power, so EDF could pay down heavy debts and absorb the high costs of maintaining its nuclear reactors.

But Brussels would have to approve such a change because of its remit to ensure free competition in the energy sector and to prevent member states from unfairly bailing out companies.

The plan would effectively split up EDF by creating a government-owned mother company, EDF Bleu, containing the nuclear assets as well as a hydroelectric subsidiary. Another subsidiary, EDF Vert, would house renewable assets, the networks and services businesses, and would be publicly listed with about a third sold to raise funds to boost EDF’s green energy investments.

Macron has argued that the changes are vital for EDF to flourish and keep up with rivals. Given that France owns almost 84 per cent of the group, the government had also hoped the reforms would lighten the state’s financial burden.

But the overhaul has been caught in wrangling with the commission. Le Monde reported that the key sticking point was how the relationship between the newly created entities would work and whether cash could freely flow between them as if the company were still fully integrated.

The French finance ministry, which has piloted the talks, and the Elysée Palace declined to comment further on the details.

EDF’s powerful labour unions had opposed the plan as a prelude to the group being broken up or privatised, and have also raised concerns that it would pave the way for nuclear energy to be marginalised.

Twice weekly newsletter

Energy is the world’s indispensable business and Energy Source is its newsletter. Every Tuesday and Thursday, direct to your inbox, Energy Source brings you essential news, forward-thinking analysis and insider intelligence. Sign up here.

“We celebrate the knockout punch delivered to Hercules,” the far-left CGT union said. “The only aim of these manoeuvres is to pull off juicy financial transactions at the expense of consumers and EDF employees.”

EDF shares fell as much as 4 per cent on Thursday as the reform’s failure overshadowed strong second-quarter financial results that showed the utility rebounding as economic activity picked up despite the Covid-19 pandemic.

Barclays analysts wrote in a note that investors were being too pessimistic on the outlook for the reform even if its timing was hard to predict.

“We continue to believe that ultimately there will be an agreement between the EU and France on EDF’s reorganisation.”

Additional reporting by David Keohane



Source link

Continue Reading

Europe

EU economy chief urges end to ‘muddling through’ with budget rules

Published

on

By


EU economy updates

Brussels cannot afford to carry on fudging the application of its own fiscal rules to blunt their negative impact, the EU’s economics chief said as he called for a far-reaching legislative overhaul to help drive stronger public investment and growth.

Paolo Gentiloni said he wanted “renewed and reviewed” EU budget rules that would provide an incentive to public investment in the green and digital transitions, while fostering stability and durable economic growth.

“It is clear we cannot simply go back to normal,” Gentiloni said in an interview with the Financial Times. “You need common rules that are connected to the economic challenges we have. Otherwise, the risk is that the European Commission will spend the next decade finding creative ways to bypass its own rules, which I think is not the best solution we can have.”

The commission is due to restart this autumn a consultation on how to amend the rules surrounding the Stability and Growth Pact (SGP). The budget framework is currently suspended because of the Covid-19 crisis, but the rules are likely to be reimposed in 2023, and there will be a fierce debate ahead of that over how they should be reformed.

Janet Yellen, US Treasury secretary, this month added her voice to those arguing that the SGP restricts governments’ latitude to battle downturns as she called for the EU to reinforce its stimulus efforts. But fiscally conservative northern European member states will chafe against efforts to substantially loosen the rules, reigniting a north-south divide over economic policy.

Gentiloni said he did not see it as the commission’s role to question the EU treaty, which contains the basic goals of keeping public debt at 60 per cent of gross domestic product and deficits to 3 per cent. But he said he wanted the commission to propose reforms to legislation as it seeks to reflect post-pandemic realities, including the surge in average eurozone public debt burdens to 100 per cent of GDP.

He questioned whether the bloc should return to a “‘low for long situation’ — low inflation, low growth, low interest rates? Or should we try to use this crisis . . . to try to have stronger and more sustainable growth?”

He supported several changes, including adjusting the rules governing the mandated path for bringing down public debt ratios, which under the current framework would entail deep and punishing reductions following the debt blowouts over the past year.

The changes would entail a shift to more “simple and observable” criteria to manage fiscal policies, he said, referring to a suggestion from the European Fiscal Board, a commission advisory body, for a budget policy set according to an “expenditure rule” setting a ceiling on the growth rate of nominal public spending.

In addition, the rules would need to be changed to provide an incentive to public investment. This would help avoid repeating the aftermath of the financial crisis, when net investment drifted rapidly lower, stymying growth.

One idea is a “golden rule” excluding some specific growth-enhancing expenditure from the ceiling on spending growth, but Gentiloni stressed he was not wedded to that specific concept. “There are a lot of possible solutions, proposals, if we recognise the need to encourage, to strengthen, public investment in certain sectors.”

To “muddle through” with the budget rules might have previously seemed reasonable, Gentiloni said, but he argued that given the circumstances, legislative changes would be needed. “This is the only way to have real common rules, and not just common rules that are there to be bypassed,” he said.

Gentiloni reiterated the upbeat short-term economic outlook he offered this month when the commission published forecasts predicting the strongest growth in decades, with an expansion of 4.8 per cent this year and 4.5 per cent next.

While the spread of the Delta coronavirus variant presented a “downside risk” to growth, he stressed that the current situation was far more propitious given the rapid rate of Covid vaccinations. The EU, he pointed out, had caught up with the adult vaccination rate of the US.

“We know very well we’re not out of the woods. At the same time we should be very clear we’re in a different situation from the one last summer and the difference is caused by vaccines and vaccination,” Gentiloni said.

Indicators of individual mobility, and the stringency of lockdown measures, continued to point to a recovery “with speed”.

“I think the recovery will proceed. All in all our brighter forecast is still supported by what we see on the ground,” he said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending