Connect with us

Europe

UK urged to restart resettlement schemes after migrant drownings

Published

on


The UK on Wednesday faced calls to reopen its refugee resettlement schemes following the deaths of at least four migrants trying to cross the English Channel, amid increased criticism of how Britain’s asylum system encourages dangerous voyages in small boats.

The calls came as authorities in northern France resumed the search for further victims of the capsized small boat loaded with up to 20 Iranian migrants on Tuesday morning in bad weather off Dunkirk that left two adults and two children dead.

Survivors of the incident, the most deadly in over a year, indicated a baby remained missing. There was no word on Wednesday afternoon of any progress in the search.

None of the UK’s resettlement programmes, which are meant to prioritise bringing the most vulnerable refugees and children from war zones such as Syria, has been operating since March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Campaigners argue this has left would-be asylum seekers outside the UK with few alternatives to a clandestine Channel crossing.

Priti Patel, the home secretary, has alarmed lawyers and people who work with migrants over her tough approach.

She indicated in a speech this month to the Conservative party conference that she intended to introduce a “two-tier” asylum system: it would prioritise applications from people applying via official resettlement schemes and assume that applicants arriving via routes such as Channel crossings should be rejected.

Home secretary Priti Patel, right, appointed Dan O’Mahoney, left, to head a range of policing and military initiatives to prosecute migrant smugglers © Gov.uk

“Because of our broken system, the way people arrive in our country makes no difference to how their claim is treated,” Ms Patel told the conference.

Lawyers and migrant rights’ groups are concerned about Ms Patel’s plan because they say it would almost certainly breach the UK’s obligations as a signatory of the 1951 United Nations Refugee Convention. This obliges signatories not to discriminate against applicants for asylum who have broken immigration rules to reach their country.

Ms Patel has also appointed Dan O’Mahoney, a former Royal Marine officer, to head a range of policing and military initiatives to prosecute smugglers facilitating crossings and to put logistical barriers in the way of crossings. About 6,000 people have already made the Channel crossing so far this year, more than three times the 1,890 who made the crossing in 2019.

Mr O’Mahoney was in France on Wednesday to discuss with French officials what further steps could be taken to deter migrants from crossing the Channel.

Louise Calvey, head of resettlement for Refugee Action, a group working with migrants, said the “increasing militarisation” of the Channel was unlikely to deter people desperate enough to put their families in flimsy boats in rough weather in October.

“The only thing that will prevent you from doing that is the availability of a safe and legal route if you want to claim asylum in the UK,” Ms Calvey said.

Ms Calvey’s calls were echoed by other groups, including the British Red Cross, the humanitarian organisation.


138,000


Number of asylum applications received by France in 2019, compared to 44,200 received by the UK

Jon Featonby, British Red Cross’s refugee and asylum policy manager, pointed out that Ms Patel’s plans included a commitment to create more safe routes for those wanting to claim asylum to reach the UK.

There is also uncertainty about the future of family reunion programmes. The end of the UK’s post-Brexit transition period will take Britain out of the EU’s Dublin Convention, which obliges countries to take back some migrants who have passed through their territory and subsequently sought asylum in another EU state.

“The time to move on this is now,” Mr Featonby said of safe routes. “This should begin with the restarting of the resettlement programme and the protection of existing family reunion routes as the UK leaves the EU.”

Chris Philp, the immigration enforcement minister, said in a written parliamentary answer this month that resettlement programmes would resume as soon as it was safe to do so. The UK has been seeking to negotiate a deal with the EU over future transfers of asylum seekers once the UK leaves the Dublin Convention.

UK ministers and officials have swung between criticising the French authorities for doing too little to stop crossings and praising their efforts. Mr O’Mahoney on Monday tweeted that the French authorities had stopped 650 people crossing last week alone.

However, there has also been frustration from some French politicians at the UK’s sense that it faces an intolerable burden from asylum seekers. France last year received 138,000 asylum applications, compared to 44,200 received by the UK in the same period.

Ms Patel has portrayed her plans for an overhaul as part of making the system firmer and fairer. She told the Conservative conference that her two-tier plan would free up the system to handle claims more quickly and eliminate the current long delays.

At the end of June this year, more than 30,000 people — or 68 per cent of people waiting for a decision on an asylum claim — had been waiting more than six months, the maximum time a decision is meant to take.

However, many people working in the field believe that even the reopening of safe routes is unlikely to stamp out demand from people trying to reach the UK via clandestine means.

Colin Yeo, a barrister specialising in asylum, said that, while safe routes could help, there were no “simple, straightforward solutions” to managing the migration of desperate and persecuted people in a time of global unrest.

“You can look at doing lots of different things,” Mr Yeo said. “But in a sense it’s not a problem capable of being completely solved as such.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Europe

Missing Belarus activist found hanged in Kyiv park

Published

on

By


Belarus updates

A Belarusian opposition activist has been found hanged from a tree in a park near his home in Ukraine, a day after he was reported missing. Local police said his death could have been made to look like suicide.

Vitaly Shishov, who led the Kyiv-based organisation Belarusian House, which helps Belarusians fleeing persecution find their feet in Ukraine, had been reported missing by his partner on Monday after not returning from a run.

Shishov’s death follows weeks of increased pressure in Belarus by authorities against civil society activists and independent media as part of what the country’s authoritarian president Alexander Lukashenko has called a “mopping-up operation” of “bandits and foreign agents”.

Many Belarusians have fled the country since Lukashenko launched a brutal crackdown last summer after nationwide protests erupted following his disputed victory in presidential elections. About 35,000 people have been arrested in Belarus and more than 150,000 are thought to have crossed into neighbouring Ukraine.

Franak Viacorka, an aide to Belarusian opposition leader Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya who met UK prime minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday in London, said Shishov’s death was “absolutely shocking and unexpected to all of us”.

“He [Shishov] and his friends helped people who were moving to Ukraine,” Viacorka told the Financial Times. “They were very helpful, especially for those who have just arrived and didn’t know what to do.”

Viacorka said many activists living in Ukraine, such as Shishov who fled Belarus in 2020, had “complained about possibly being followed, and receiving threats”.

Kyiv park where Vitaly Shyshov’s body was found
The Kyiv park where Vitaly Shishov’s body was found after he failed to return home following a run © Gleb Garanich/Reuters

Downing Street said that after meeting Tsikhanouskaya, Johnson condemned the Lukashenko regime’s severe human rights violations. “The UK stands in solidarity of the people of Belarus and will continue to take action to support them,” a spokesperson said.

Ukrainian police have now launched a criminal case for the suspected murder of Shishov, including the possibility of “murder disguised as suicide”.

Yuriy Shchutsko, an acquaintance and fellow Belarus refugee who found Shishov’s body, ruled out suicide, pointing out that Shishov’s nose was broken.

“I suspect this was the action of the [Belarus] KGB . . . we knew they were hunting for us,” he told Ukrainian television.

Ihor Klymenko, head of the National Police of Ukraine, subsequently said Shishov’s body had what appeared to be “torn tissue” on his nose and other wounds, but stressed it would be up to medical examiners to determine if these were caused by beatings or the result of suicide.

There was no immediate comment from Lukashenko or his administration.

Belarusian House said: “There is no doubt that this is an operation planned by the Chekists [the Belarusian KGB] to eliminate someone truly dangerous for the regime.

“Vitalik was under surveillance,” it added. “We were repeatedly warned by both local sources and our people in the Republic of Belarus about all kinds of provocations up to kidnapping and liquidation.”

Adding to the swirl of attention on Belarus this week, Tokyo Olympics sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya on Monday took refuge in Poland’s embassy after alleging she had been taken to the airport against her will, having criticised her Belarusian coaches.

The athlete has said she feared punishment if she went back to Belarus but has so far declined to link her problems to the country’s divisions.

Shishov’s death comes five years after Pavel Sheremet, a prominent Belarus-born opposition figure and journalist, was killed in an improvised bomb explosion in downtown Kyiv while driving to work at a local radio station. Lukashenko has ruled Belarus since 1994.

Ukrainian authorities at first suggested Belarusian or Russian security services could have been involved in the hit, as Sheremet was close to opposition movements in Russia as well.

Instead, officials charged three Ukrainian volunteers who supported war efforts against Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine — although they steadfastly denied involvement and authorities were unable to provide a motive in what has been widely described as a flimsy case.

Additional reporting by Jasmine Cameron-Chileshe in London



Source link

Continue Reading

Europe

EU pledges aid to Lithuania to combat illegal migration from Belarus

Published

on

By


EU immigration updates

In the latest sign of deteriorating relations between the EU and Belarus, Brussels has promised extra financial aid and increased diplomatic heft to help Lithuania tackle a migrant crisis that it blames on neighbouring Belarus and its dictator Alexander Lukashenko.

Lithuania detained 287 illegal migrants on Sunday, more than it did in the entirety of 2018, 2019, and 2020 combined, the vast majority of them Iraqis who had flown to Belarus’s capital Minsk before heading north to cross into the EU state. Almost 4,000 migrants have been detained this year, compared with 81 for the whole of 2020. 

“What we are facing is an aggressive act from the Lukashenko regime designed to provoke,” Ylva Johansson, the EU commissioner for home affairs told reporters on Monday after talks with Lithuania’s prime minister Ingrida Simonyte. “The situation is getting worse and deteriorating . . . There is no free access to EU territory.”

The EU imposed sweeping sanctions against Lukashenko’s regime in June, after he fraudulently claimed victory in last year’s presidential election and then led a brutal campaign to violently suppress protesters and jail political opponents. Lukashenko has ruled Belarus since 1994.

The rising concern over the migrant crossings, which EU officials say is a campaign co-ordinated by Lukashenko’s administration, comes as one of the country’s athletes competing in the Tokyo Olympic Games sought refuge in Poland after team management attempted to fly her home against her will after she publicly criticised their actions.

Johansson said the EU would provide €10m-€12m of immediate emergency funding and would send a team of officials to the country to assess the requirements for longer-term financial assistance, including for extra border security and facilities to process those attempting to enter.

Simonyte said that Vilnuis would require “tens of millions of euros” by the end of the year if the number of people attempting to cross the border continued at the current pace.

Lithuania’s foreign minister Gabrielius Landsbergis told the Financial Times in June that Belarus was “weaponising” illegal immigration to put pressure on the Baltic country over its housing of several opposition leaders. Since then, the flow of illegal immigrants from Iraq, Syria, and several African countries has increased sharply.

Iraqi diplomats visited Vilnius at the end of last week after Lithuania’s foreign minister flew to Baghdad in mid-July. Johannson said on Monday that EU diplomats were engaged in “intensive contacts” with Iraqi officials, which she said were “more constructive than we had hoped”.

State carrier Iraqi Airways offers flights from four Iraqi airports to Minsk, according to its website. Former Estonian president Toomas Ilves suggested on Twitter that the EU could cut its aid to Iraq “immediately until they stop these flights”.

Speaking at the border with Belarus on Monday, Johansson added that the tents provided by Lithuania were unsuitable for families. Lithuania’s interior minister Agne Bilotaite said she hoped the number of illegal migrants would subside in the coming months but that Vilnius was planning to build some housing to accommodate them over the upcoming winter.



Source link

Continue Reading

Europe

Britain’s wrong-headed approach to refugees

Published

on

By


UK immigration updates

Thanks to the bravery of volunteers who run towards storms at sea to rescue ships’ crews, few British institutions command as much respect as the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. The charity, however, has recently had to negotiate a different kind of storm, over its efforts to help refugees who get into difficulties crossing the Channel from France. Nigel Farage, the former Brexit party leader, accused it of running a taxi service for illegal trafficking gangs. Last week, the RNLI said it had received hundreds of thousands of pounds of extra donations in response.

The RNLI has become embroiled in a now familiar story when the summer months allow more small boats to make the Channel crossing. Compared with the flows to other countries such as Spain, Italy and Greece, only a handful of migrants attempt the journey. That makes the UK’s inability to control the border in an effective and humane way — and shabby treatment of those who do make it across — no less of a scandal.

Britain’s strategy for stemming the flow has relied mostly on paying the French authorities to limit the number of boats crossing and return any that leave to France, while deterring would-be migrants through the unwelcoming environment that awaits them. Just as EU countries are dependent on their neighbours for keeping entrants down — whether Morocco for Spain or Belarus for Lithuania — the UK needs French co-operation to control the mutual border. Diplomatic spats, whether over Brexit or extra Covid quarantine restrictions on arrivals from France, have made that harder.

The UK approach manages to be simultaneously ineffective and cruel. Yvette Cooper, chair of the home affairs select committee, wrote last week to home secretary Priti Patel to complain of unacceptable conditions in the holding facility for migrants who make it to the Kent coast. A recent unannounced visit by MPs found most of those remaining in the overcrowded facility sitting on a thin mattress on the floor, with women and children in the same room as adult men.

Earlier this year, the High Court ruled that “squalid” conditions in the Napier Barracks, a temporary centre set up last year to house asylum seekers during the pandemic, were so bad as to be unlawful. While arrivals have declined since the peak seven years ago, cutbacks have led to a backlog in processing claims, leaving more in a legal limbo.

Since the start of the pandemic Britain has shut down other paths into the country, ending a resettlement scheme. This has ceded the ground to people traffickers. The “push factors” of the risk of violence and torture at home and “pull factors” of higher living standards mean many are still willing to resort to risky and illegal methods to try to reach the UK. Creating a harsh environment for those who make it has done little to dispel the widespread belief among migrants that Britain is a better destination than other European countries, and stem the flow.

That will not stop the government trying. Barristers have warned that a clause in draft border legislation could potentially make it a crime to help asylum seekers arrive in the UK, with a maximum penalty of life imprisonment; at present it is illegal to do so to earn a profit. The Home Office says the clause is aimed at criminal traffickers. But along with a suggestion to set up offshore processing centres, the provision has rightly earned criticism from human rights groups. If the government is unwilling to create safe and legal routes, its only option is to prevent people from coming in the first place. That, ultimately, will mean relying on France.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending